Followers

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Everyman

I'm starting to get slightly fatigued, though my first real attempt is just around the corner. I think I'll be studying for my biology test in the morning in the free time I gain. It isn't like I haven't only slept for three hours on one night before. I can make it through, I just hope that my grades don't suffer, and that I can remain consistent throughout the experiment.

I want to mention a few things before we get started.

The everyman IS NOT dangerous for your health, neither is it's more extreme cousin the Uberman. Popular belief says that a good night sleep is more beneficial, however, studies cited here
as well as here provide reason to believe that there is actually no way for it to harm you, so long as you remain along the strict schedule and DO NOT skip naps.

I've been wanting to try this for a long time, and I figure now would be an ideal time, it being that last little time in High School I have left, where grades don't have to be priority and where fun should be at it's highest. I'm hoping many of you are behind me here. Don't try to be party poopers hmmm!

Back to the benefits. I'll be gaining somewhere close to 14 hours a week. That's almost two full nights sleep worth of hours I'll have back to use how ever I choose. Substantial? I think so. Worth it? Yes.

I'll be using these hours to work on my physics papers, personal research, blog improvement, music composition. A lot of things. The part I'm most excited about is a daily jaunt through the neighborhood in the crisp morning. I think around six o'clock will be ample time, then upon returning, I'll shower, and take a nap before school. I think it'll be a great way to space out that big break of free late night/morning time.

Disclaimer

I am merely posting my experience in the field of sleep pattern testing. I cannot be held responsible for anyone who is rendered sick, or dead on account of sleep deprivation because they stumbled upon my site and decided that they would start not sleeping for two days at a time.

Thank you

1 comment:

  1. At the expense of making me think I'm following you (well I am sort of, but only because of it from your other blog).

    I always thought I could accomplish more if I didn't need as much sleep. I've always had a bit of sleep issues, sometimes going 3-4 days on 4 hours sleep with some cat naps throughout the day (hmm...sounds just like this one). However, it's not always voluntary. There's days when I crave sleep, only can't get it. And one of two things happen - I get headaches, or I get oversensitive to things and am more prone to over-react to stressors.

    Your polyphasic sleep research project sounds interesting, but pulling it off while you are a student could be risky. If it fails, or you get sick, you might regret it.

    If you were my son, I'd also probably be nervous something would happen to you (despite what the research says). Do you really want to risk all the cards falling out from under you and losing everything you've gained so far?

    There is a real good reason sleep deprivation is used as torture. You can go mad from it.

    If you have too much to do, cut back on something that you can pursue later. Contrary to what you may think, you don't have to accomplish absolutely everything today (even though we all know we could get hit by a bus tomorrow - most likely it won't happen).

    I'm not going to patronize you and tell you how things look to you now will not be the same in 5 years or 10 years, but honestly, time has a way of giving us wisdom and perspective. No one (not even mom and dad) can teach you what life experience will.

    Do what you can for now, but sometimes it's really okay to let talents lie dormant for a little while. Think of them as seasons of your life. I was once in microbiology, forensic DNA analysis, and medical genetics. Now I'm a mother and a wanna-be writer.

    When I was my late teens and early 20s, I had no idea the things I was capable of and the winding path my life would take. It's been an awesome journey and I've made wonderful connections with people along the way.

    Good luck with your studies!

    ReplyDelete